Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sick Day Tea

It seems like everyone I know is getting sick this week. Today I woke up with a terrible sore throat and an achy feeling all over. If this is what my husband had over the weekend, I can kiss my Russian exam goodbye. Let's hope it is just a cold.

Lately I have been drinking a cup of tea every afternoon (sorry, coffee) and have become quite the advocate. Tea is the second most frequently consumed beverage after water and has many health benefits. That is why when I'm sick, my go to recipe is Rachel Ray's Sick Day Tea. Not only is it delicious, but it also feels great on a sore throat and is full of Vitamin C and herbs.

Try it for yourself! I have modified the recipe slightly. Find the original here.

1 inch piece of ginger root, peeled (use a spoon)
several large strips of orange rind
6 cups of water
1/4 cup honey
juice of 1 orange
4 bags echinacea (or other) tea

Mix the ginger root, orange rind, water, and honey in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When it comes to a boil, mix in orange juice and tea bags. Cover and let steep (for approximately 8 minutes depending on what type of tea you use). Ladle into mug and enjoy! Makes enough to share with your sick roomie or sweetheart!

Picture from TLC "How Tea Works"

2 comments:

  1. Russian exam? I'm new to your blog - found you when you commented on mine. Where are you going?

    ReplyDelete