Wednesday, January 13, 2010

tzedek


This week in my area studies class, an inspirational speaker told us about the verse "tzedek tzedek tirdof" which means "justice, justice, pursue it." Some interpretations of the Torah suggest that the word justice is repeated twice to indicate that both the means and the end of any action must be just.

I hope I can carry this gem of advice with me as I begin my career with the federal government. I gather that it can be frustrating at times - but even little cogs can make a difference, right?

The more I read and learn about the world--the pain and suffering and senseless injustice--the more I want to do something about it. I want to educate myself by seeing and experiencing diverse cultures, and I want to pursue peace in any way I can. I hope I never take for granted how fortunate I am to have a job that allows me to live out this passion.

PS: Isn't social media amazing? The Red Cross has already raised $800,000 for Haiti disaster relief via their texting drive. In case you haven't seen this anywhere else, you can text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10. Read more about this and similar drives at the Huffington Post and on the State Department website.

No comments:

Post a Comment